Work Back and Core While Shaping Upper Extremities
The Single Arm Cable Row with Plank exercise is an intermediate exercise. Although, the target is primarily upper back muscles in this exercise, it is also great for overall core strength and shaping your upper extremities.
1. Start on all fours with your right hand over the platform logo, (board is sitting lateral) and your left hand holding the cable handle.
2. Bring yourself into full plank position, keeping your abs engaged, head in line with your spine.
3. Keeping your elbow tucked in, pull the cable handle into your chest/anterior shoulder area as you exhale.
4. Be sure to squeeze your lats, serratus, and obliques as you pull the cable handle into your rib cage.
5. Bring your arm back to starting position as you inhale.
6. Repeat for desired amount of repetitions.
7. Switch sides and repeat steps 1-6.
8. Repeat for desired amount of sets.
Tips: Be sure to brace the abs at all times. This will help stabilize the lower back while holding plank position. Utilize your back, biceps, and shoulders to perform each repetition. For more of a challenge, you can lift one foot off the floor while rowing. You can also slow your movements down by adjusting tempo. Be sure to understand and perform this exercise on the floor first or until you feel confident in your form and technique, and strong enough for this exercise.