Great Exercise for Strengthening Lower Abs and Back
V-Sit Scissors will work your abs, lower back, hip flexors, and core. This is an intermediate exercise and should be performed on a stable surface prior to performing it with the StrongBoard Balance board. This exercise utilizes your body weight to isolate the core and primarily targets the abdominals, tone down the obliques, strengthen your back muscles, and challenge your entire core. This exercise will also, believe it or not, strengthen your quadriceps and hamstrings too.
By strengthening these muscle groups through this particular exercise, you will help eliminate common lower back issues and can lead to back injury if not done properly. Getting your core to properly activate with your spinal erectors and neighboring stabilizers, you create a stronger trunk to help improve posture and proper gait.
1. Start by placing StrongBoard Balance in a lateral position. Sit on the center of the platform, basically balancing on your bum.
2. Lean back to a 45-degree angle and place hands on the floor behind you for support, keep your abs braced and your spine lengthened and neutral.
3. Lift both legs off the floor, into a “V” shape.
4. Begin crossing one leg over the other, alternating each leg over the other.
5. Continue to criss-cross legs, lowering towards the floor without touching and back up.
6. Repeat for the desired amount of repetitions or duration.
Be sure to keep spine erect and stabilized by bracing your abdominals through entire set. For more of a challenge you can change your speed to incorporate a more aerobic workout. Other movements can be performed in V-Sit, like side to side and Sidewinders, butterfly, Russian twists, toe taps, etc.